Thursday, June 2, 2011

Egg!


If you go onto my other blog here you'll notice from the background picture that I think eggs are all right.  Something I find interesting about the egg is that occasionally it's used as an insult. I'm not sure if it's a world-wide thing, a New Zealand thing, An Auckland thing, or more specifically, a South Auckland thing. Whatever, it's a word that has been in use for the past decade or so as far as I can tell.  We never used to call each other eggs when I was in school, most probably because we were so consistently innocent and polite to each other.

NOT!

Anyway, according to Wiki the term "egg" in New Zealand means:  mild insult meaning 'fool' or 'dork'. Enjoyed widespread use in the 1980s, still used today. Used to be used occasionally with the partner (and now all but obsolete) "spoon" Well there you go. Incidentally, if you'd like to learn a little more of our language feel free to check the Wiki page yourself: New Zealand Words

So anyway, if someone does something stupid, it's perfectly acceptable (in my opinion) to call them an egg.  Since it's a name that often suits me, I've decided to adopt it as a term of endearment. Although, when Smiley uses it, she usually ends up calling me an EEG because she's British and is trying to mock my Kiwi accent.

I don't believe all eggs are created equal. There are staunch, hard boiled eggs (not me), fragile, raw eggs (could be me), slightly cracked eggs (possibly me on a good day)...

I don't mind being an egg because eggs are useful. The Bible is full of well-meaning eggs who did some stupid stuff but still ended up coming in handy when they were needed. Samson is a perfect example. A couple of bevvies and a bad haircut ruining his life one day and he still managed to go from hero to zero to hero again.

Someone mentioned to me today that an egg has to be cracked to be useful. So I'm perfectly happy to be a cracked egg, even though it might be a bit scary sometimes.

 Actually... I think I'm more of a slightly scrambled omelette most of the time.

Totally unrelated thought: Who decided Humpty Dumpty was an egg? Whatever or whoever he was, I say he was pushed!

No comments:

Post a Comment